On-Line Astronomy Assignments - Grading

There is no way that you are expected to complete every assignment listed on this page as well as on the Syllabus. I have continued to add work to the course to that I can have options as I teach. Throughout the course, you will be asked to do work that is reasonable and meaningful, and you will have plenty of choices to make as well. You need not complete all of the quizzes or papers. What I hope to do is move through the course with you and make suggestions directly of what assignments would be expected, and those that I consider to be extra credit. This information will come during the chat sessions.

The number of assignments completed and the level of effort and expertise demonstrated will be the factors in determining 70% of your grade. The other 30% of your grade will depend on your completion of the reading, level of interest and participation during the chat sessions, and your willingness to make some recommendations that you feel will improve this course for future students.

The assignments are grouped together according to subject. However, there are five assignments which will require some astronomical observation. You do not need to have any particular equipment, but the use of binoculars will be very helpful. If you do not have access to a pair, you can still complete the observations, but locating binoculars will greatly enhance your ability to see things, and increase your level of stuff you might otherwise miss with your naked eyes. The completion of these five observations are an absolute requirement for this class, and it is extremely important that you do the observations in a sequence relative to the course. The first observation needs to be completed by the end of the second week, and the final observation during the final two weeks. Both the first and final observations should be done at the same time in the evening, since one of the purposes is to compare locations of stars. The observations where you look at a particular star, the moon, and the sun observation can be done anytime during the course.

The Night Sky

1.

Getting to know you

2.

First Constellation Observation

3.

Write a Myth

4.

Star Observation (also found under "Light and Telescopes")

History

1.

Ancient Astronomy Quiz

2.

Copernican Revolution and Reformation Quiz

3.

Copernican Revolution and Reformation Paper

Light and Telescopes

1.

Star Observation, E-mail version (also found under "The Night Sky")

2.

Recommendations to a Potential Telescope Buyer

Space Exploration

1.

Stranded on the Moon, E-mail version

2.

Exploration Quiz

Our Home Planet - Earth and the Moon

1.

Scale Model Lab, E-mail version

2.

Earth Quiz, E-mail version

3.

Moon Observation Lab, E-mail version

4.

Moon Phases, Tides, Eclipses

5.

Lunar Origins Quiz

6.

Moon Cratering Lab

Solar System

1.

Mercury Quiz

2.

Venus Quiz

3.

Mars Quiz

4.

Mars Cratering Lab, E-mail version

5.

Jupiter Quiz

6.

Saturn Quiz

7.

Uranus Quiz

8.

Neptune Quiz

9.

Voyager Mission Quiz and Commentary, E-mail version

10.

Pluto and Charon Lab, E-mail version

11.

Pluto, Comets, and Asteroid Quiz

12.

Final Planet Quiz, E-mail version

The Sun

1.

Sun Observation Lab, E-mail version

2.

Sun Quiz, E-mail version

Stars

1.

First Night Observation, E-mail version (also found under "The Night Sky)

2.

Final Night Observation, E-mail version

3.

Stellar Spectra Comparison

4.

HR Diagram Interpretation

5.

AAVSO Star Assignment, E-mail version

6.

Star Quiz

7.

SN 1987A Lab, E-mail version

Galaxies

1.

Milky Way Quiz

2.

Hubble Deep Field, E-mail version

Cosmology & SETI

1.

Final Constellation Observation, E-mail version

2.

Nova Light Curve Interpretation

3.

Cosmology Paper

4.

SETI assignment

5.

Final Assignment

 

To receive a "C" in the course, you will need to have attended the chat sessions, done one of the observations, half of the required quizzes, and the Scale Model and Hubble Deep Field labs.

To receive a "B" in the course, you will need to have attended the chat sessions, done half of the observations, half of the required quizzes, and two lab assignments besides the Scale Model and Hubble Deep Field labs.

To receive an "A" in the course, you will need to have attended the chat sessions, done all of the observations, all of the required quizzes, two lab assignments, besides the Scale Model and Hubble Deep Field labs, and some extra assignments.

Every student is required to do the Scale Model of the Solar system and the Hubble Deep Field lab. These two labs are required to meet the Minnesota Science Standard for this course.

I want someone to at least try the Pluto/Charon lab and the SN 1987A Lab. Back to the Syllabus to begin your work.


| Home | Course Information | Assignments | Teacher Bio | Course Units | Syllabus | Links |